|Starter Motor Water Damage Inspection (MerCruiser)|
All MerCruiser gasoline engines:
- Delco PG260 models only, remove the 2 short screws from the end cap and look at the threads.
- If they are clean and gold in color, the starter motor did not have water inside of it.
- If they are dirty and black or gray in color, the starter motor may have had water on the inside of it, go to step 2.
- Remove the 2 long bolts to disassemble and inspect the inside of the starter motor.
- Heavy rust and corrosion inside the starter motor indicates water damage.
- If starter motor has little or no signs of rust or corrosion on the inside, go to step 3.
- Remove starter solenoid. Look at condition of solenoid plunger grease.
- Brown or red rust colored grease or if the plunger is rusty, solenoid has been under water.
All Delco Starter Motors
a - Short Screws, PG260 Models Only
b - Long Screws
Extract from Mercury Marine Service Bulletin No. 2001-11