Please report any issues with this site to Lexicon Webmaster.
1) The widest part of a boat.
2) Abeam, at a right angle to the length of the boat.
3) Sturdy wooden timbers running across the width of a boat. Used to support the deck of a wooden boat.
4) A structural member supporting a load applied transversely to it. The transverse members of a deck framing system; the width of a vessel.A term common to wooden boat design/construction.
5) The maximum breadth of the ship measured in feet or meters. Expressed as "B" for Beam when annotating the Geometry of the Ship.