Process of ascertaining various dimensions, capacities, and tonnage of total spaces in a vessel as required for official registration.
46 CFR Subpart G--Tonnage and Dimension Requirements for Vessel Documentation
- Sec. 67.105 Requirement for determination.
The gross and net tonnage and dimensions of a vessel must be determined:
- For initial documentation;
- Whenever there is a change in the gross or net tonnage or dimensions of a documented vessel; or
- When the gross or net tonnage of a vessel returning to documentation has changed since the vessel was last documented.
- Sec. 67.107 System of measurement; evidence.
- The gross and net tonnage and dimensions of a vessel for purposes of this part are determined in accordance with 46 CFR part 69.
- A certificate of measurement issued by an authorized official is the only acceptable evidence of the gross and net tonnage of a vessel measured in accordance with subpart B, C, or D of 46 CFR part 69. A certificate of measurement is not issued for vessels measured under subpart E of 46 CFR part 69 since the gross and net tonnage are determined as part of the documentation process.
See Code of Federal Regulations for measurement procedures (46CFR69.pdf)